Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Merrimack River - Upstream to the mouth of the Spicket River


View Upstream in a larger map

My first kayak trip was only mildly successful.  My start point was Schruedner Park in Methuen.  Ultimately I was attempting to get to the mouth of the Spicket River which is just over a mile and a half upstream.  Upstream is where the problem lies.  Even though the Merrimack is considered a slow moving river, paddling against the current is a lot of work.  I think after a few more months of paddling I may build up my stamina enough to make the trip, but for now it will have to wait.  I did make it a mile and a half upstream which took me about an hour.  Paddling an hour downstream I can travel about 4 miles.

The trip wasn't a total waste.  I learned that nice easy paddle strokes are more efficient than aggressive ones.  I also got a good feel for my kayak.  Since this was my first time on the water I didn't want to venture too far.  Of course the wildlife along the river is always a treat, loon, heron and hawks along this short stretch.  Overall it was an enjoyable two hours on the river

No comments:

Post a Comment