Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Kayak Carts

I am lucky enough to live just a few blocks away from my local kayaking spot (The Merrimack River).  The problem with living just a few blocks away is that it is too far to carry the kayak and too close to justify strapping the kayak down on the roof of may car. 

A quick little Internet search and I found the perfect solution for my dilemma, kayak carts.  There are many different types and price ranges on these carts.  I opted for LL Bean's Stowaway Kayak Cart that I picked up for under $50 on sale.   Some of the more expensive carts attach to the middle of the kayak which makes pulling the kayak along much easier.  Others have larger wheels for pulling the kayak through beach sand.  The model I purchased attaches to the stern of the kayak so you are pulling most of the weight of the kayak.  But it is still much easier than carrying the kayak on your own.  My trip to the river is under 1000 feet via paved roadway, a short walk down a gravel/dirt trail and then a fairly steep hill to get to the river.  This cart navigates the varied terrain with ease.  I will say that it was a little difficult pulling the cart back up the hill after a couple hours of paddling, but there is no way around that.

 

Another nice feature of this cart is that it is very compact.  It easily folds up and fits into the storage hatch of my Manitou Sport and leaves room to spare.  Attaching the cart to your kayak is as simple as tightening a strap around your stern and a hook the attaches to the back of your cockpit.  You can have it on and be rolling down to the water in less than a minute.  Very nice product for a good price that will save your back and save you some time if you find yourself needing to carry your kayak.

No comments:

Post a Comment