Sunday, April 10, 2011

Old Town Vapor 10XT kayak review

I went to the New England Paddlesports show last weekend looking to pick up some safely gear and maybe a new pair of water shoes and ended up coming home with a new kayak.  When I was first looking at kayaks about a year ago I considered the Vapor 10 but I really wanted something that would provide better performance so I went with the Necky Manitou Sport.  At the time I considered getting two kayaks but not knowing how much my wife and daughter would want to come along we decided against it.  When I saw the Vapor 10XT at the show for under $400 I really couldn't pass it up.

In order to make kayaking with my daughter work I need a kayak with a large cockpit, the Vapor 10 XT fits the bill with an opening of 19.5" x 48".  This will allow my daughter to sit forward in the cockpit and I can paddle behind her.  This is something I am unable to do in my Necky.  At 10 feet the kayak also fits in the back of my Dodge Caravan so no need to purchase another kayak rack to get to and from the water.

The base model of this kayak is the Vapor 10, additional features on the XT include a more comfortable seat, a hatch for the rear compartment and an e-pad storage space.

On the water the Vapor 10XT performed pretty much as I expected.  It is a short wide rec kayak so it is not going to win any speed records.  But is did track pretty well compared to my Necky which is a foot longer.  At 28.5" wide the kayak is very stable and the short length make it very maneuverable.  The seat is just OK, I was out on the water for a little over an hour today and I had to reposition myself quite a bit to stay comfortable.  I might need to take along and extra cushion for longer trips. 

If I was buying a new kayak for myself this would not have been my first choice but for getting my wife and daughter out on the water with me for those lazy spring and summer days the Vapor XT is going to be just perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck with your new kayak! There's nothing like the feeling one gets when breaking-in a new vessel.

    ReplyDelete