Sunday, November 6, 2011

Merrimack River Kayaking Trip - Scruender Park, Methuen to Pines Recreation Area, Groveland


View Methuen to Groveland in a larger map

After the freak snowstorm we had last weekend I thought my kayaking season might be over.  But the weather warmed up enough for me to get out on the Merrimack this morning.   Temperatures were in the high 40s when I put in but quickly warmed up to the mid 50s, pretty comfortable kayaking weather.  Wind was pretty light but picked up a bit toward the end of my trip.

I was looking forward to some foliage paddles this season but I somehow seemed to miss it.  Colors now appear to be varying shades of yellow.  I was hoping with most of the leaves gone from the trees I might see an eagle in the trees but none seemed to be around this weekend.  There was a lone Great Blue Heron, some cormorants and ducks still hanging out.  Water levels are still pretty high with a brisk current I am paddling at an average of 5 mph.

I paddled around the back side of a small island just past the 2nd 495 bridge and found myself in a short narrow little area (below) that reminded me a bit of the Ipswich River.  It was pretty shallow so I am not sure this section could be paddled in the summer but it was nice to get out of the sun and wind for a few minutes.

My destination for this trip was the Pines Recreation Area boat ramp in Groveland.  I stopped here for a break on a trip a few weeks ago and chatted up an older gentleman working there.  I think the ramp is for Groveland residents only but I couldn't find any information on it.  The ramp was gated off for power boats but no problem for someone carrying a kayak.  There is a nice flat ramp and  parking area just a short walk away.  My typical takeout is at Riverside Park in Haverhill.  The problem there is you need to climb a fairly steep flight of stairs to get to the parking lot.  Not always an easy feat after a couple hours of paddlng.  The Pines Recreation Area is just about a mile past the Haverhill and I may try using it again in the future as long as nobody kicks me out as I am not a Groveland resident.

Pines Recreation Area

Total mileage of this trip was just over 10 miles and I completed the trip in 1 hour and 50 minutes. 

5 comments:

  1. Kayak Factory Direct is located on the Central Coast of NSW and is the largest retailer of Prijon Kayaks in Australia with some 27 different models on the shop floor. We have been dealing in this brand for over 15 years and know our kayaks back to front. http://kayakfactorydirect.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you have any issues paddling under the bridge on the Haverhill/Groveland Line (Route 133)? I know there is lots of construction and was curious if there is any difficulties.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I paddled under the bridge back in November there was quite a bit of construction going on but I didn't have any issues getting through. I passed under on the right side. That being said things may have changed since then. I may have to take a trip back down there one of these days to see,

      Delete